This guide provides an overview of product features and related technologies. In addition, it contains recommendations on best practices, tutorials for getting started, and troubleshooting information for common situations.
- Can Glance Screen Share show my spiffy spinning 3-dimensional CAD model?
Glance Screen Share always does the best it can, given the available bandwidth, processing power and the complexity of the screen being sent. If you find that performance is slow, you might try reducing the resolution of your display or having your guest use Glance Screen Share's native viewer.
- Can Glance solutions transfer files?
No, Glance solutions cannot transfer files.
We suggest you send files as an e-mail attachment or provide them to your guests on your website. You can reassure your security-conscious session guests that neither person can send any files during a Glance session.
We can customize your Glance web pages (where guests join and finish sessions) with your logo as well as links to files on your website. Contact Glance support for details.
- Can I download/export Glance Screen Share session information?
Yes! Exporting session detail is easier than ever in the new My Account area. You can:
- Export session details as a .csv (comma separated value) text file. Import it to any spreadsheet.
- Choose any time period.
- Export sessions for one individual or everyone in your group.
Export session information
First, login to the My Account area:
- From the Glance home page, click the My Account link.
- Login using with your Glance Address and password. (Forgot your password? Here's how to reset it.)
Then follow the steps below, depending on whether you want to export details for one or multiple sessions.
Export details for one session
To export details for one session, follow the steps below:
- Click the Activity tab.
- Choose a date range that includes the session. (Account administrators can click Session number to see all sessions for that date range.)
- Click the session's Detail link.
- Click the Download link in the Guests section.
Export details for multiple sessions or for your entire group
To export details for multiple sessions or for your entire group, follow the steps below:
- Click the Activity tab.
- Choose a date range.
- To export details for one Glance Address, click the Export link in that row.
- To export details for all Glance Addresses in your group (you must be an account administrator), click Export All in the row at the bottom of the page.
- Can I switch the monitor Glance Screen Share Shows?
Glance shows one monitor at a time, leaving other displays private. Your primary or main monitor is shown by default, but you can switch the monitor.
Show a different screen
To show a different screen, follow the steps below
1. Click the G icon. A menu is displayed.
2. Choose Settings.
3. Click the Options tab.
4. Select the monitor you want to show from the Show Monitor drop down list.
Tip: You can even switch which monitor shows in the middle of your session. The yellow border will appear on the monitor you choose and your guest's Glance viewer window will show the contents of newly chosen screen.
Note: Glance does not support ATI HydraVision Multi-Monitor Management Software, which comes with some high-end PC video cards.
- Does the Glance icon sitting in my system tray (near the clock) slow down my PC?
- No. Glance only uses processing power during a session.
- Glance Screen Share System and Performance Requirements
The Glance Screen Share System & Performance Requirements will help you check your computer's ability to host or join Glance Screen Share sessions. To learn more about how Glance Screen Share works visit the Glance Screen Share web page.
Glance Screen Share definitions
Glance Screen Share—Show session A host shows their desktop screen to a guest. Glance Screen Share—View session A host views a guest's desktop screen. Glance Screen Share—View & control session A host views and controls a guest's desktop screen.
Host and guest Show session system requirements
You can host a Glance Screen Share Show session using any of the following desktop system requirements:
Guests instantly join your Glance Screen Share Show session from any Windows or Mac computer or any mobile device without the need to install any software. They are also required to have internet access using any of the following browsers:
Joining from a desktop or laptop Joining from a mobile device Internet Explorer 8+
Windows Phone 8+
Surface Pro & RT
Host and guest View session system requirements
You can host a Glance Screen Share View and/or View & control session using any of the following desktop system requirements:
In order for your guest(s) to join your Glance Screen Share View or View & control session, they need the following desktop specifications:
Note When you begin a View or View & control session, your guest(s) will be prompted to download and install Glance software. The download is very small and will only take a few seconds to complete.
Guests also need to have internet access using any of the following browsers:
Note View only and View & control sessions are only available on desktop, not mobile.
Glance's high-speed servers forward screen changes as fast as your network allows. Many factors can affect your network's actual speed over time. To provide the best experience for your guests, make sure you have optimal upload and download speeds by taking the Ookla speed test.
Your UPLOAD speed affects how well you can host sessions.
Your DOWNLOAD speed affects your viewing experience.
Not so hot
Ready to try Glance?
All you need to host sessions is a free trial or paid subscription and Glance installed. And for the best experience, be sure to download the latest version of Glance Screen Share.
Need more help?Visit the Glance support home page. Contact Glance Support:
- (1) (877) 452-6236 Domestic
- (1) (781) 646-8505 International
- How can guests join my session without a Session Key?
Want guests to connect super-fast? Now they can go to your Glance Address and join instantly. Use the new No Key option -- now available in Glance 2.7 for Windows PCs (download here and Glance for Macs (download here).
To set up the No Key option, follow the steps below.
- Click the G icon near your computer's clock. The Glance menu opens.
- Choose Settings.
- Click the Options tab.
- Under Session Key, choose No key.
- Click OK.
To join your sessions, guests just browse to your Glance Screen Share address. They join immediately after entering any contact information you might require.
- How can I get the fastest possible Glance Screen Share performance?
Below is some advice on how to get the best Glance Screen Share performance.
User friendly firewall
Start a session and look at the Session Status field in your Session Info box. If it includes the word tunneling, you may want to ask your network administrator to add a simple, secure rule to your company's firewall policy so Glance can run at peak efficiency.
Check your upload speed
Guests see changes to your screen only as fast as you can send them to Glance Screen Share. The bigger your pipe, the faster Glance Screen Share runs.
Many small business and home office networks enjoy fast download speeds, but their upload often is just a fraction as fast. Slow upload speed can cause slow Glance Screen Share performance. Check your network's performance at the Glance Screen Share System and Performance Requirements page.
Lower your host screen resolution
Glance Screen Share sends your entire screen, so reducing its resolution should improve performance. For example, a complete 1280x800 screen can be sent about 2x faster than 1920x1080.
- How can I integrate Glance Screen Share into my website?
- Guests can connect to sessions directly from your company’s website. Add a free Glance button to any page with just two lines of HTML. Read this article to learn more about integrating Glance Screen Share into your website. Read this article to learn more about changing the color of your Glance Screen Share solution to match your website.
- How can I record a Glance session?
Glance solutions do not come with recording technology. However, there are several great recording solutions that you can use with Glance solutions.
For recording a Glance session, we recommend two applications.
For our PC customers, we recommend a software product called Camtasia. If you're on a Mac, we recommend ScreenFlow. Both applications let you capture what's on your screen along with your voice.
When the session is done, both programs provide the ability to to edit the content and publish it on your website in a variety of formats, such as Flash and QuickTime.
A cheaper option that can still do the job fairly well is Ink2Go, which also has annotation features. A free trial version is available.
To include everyone's voice in the recording, plug an inexpensive device from RadioShack between your phone's handset and your computer's microphone jack (usually pink-colored on a PC) and flip its switch to RECORD.
To resolve the issue, follow the steps in this section.
- How do I let others show their screens when we're using Glance Screen Share?
Now with Glance Screen Share, you can switch presenters during a session! Co-presenters just need Glance installed before joining. They do not need a subscription.
Instructions for co-presenting
FIRST: Make sure you have Glance installed. Download here.
NEXT: Before your session starts, have co-presenters download Glance at http://glance.net/guest. This is a one-time step.
- Tip: Only those wanting to show their screen need Glance.
START: Start your session. Have everyone join with their favorite web browser.
SHOW: Co-presenters will see a G icon appear in their system tray. Any co-presenter can click their G-icon and choose Show my Screen. Everyone now sees that person's screen.
CHANGE PRESENTERS: Have someone else click G > Show my screen. That person becomes the new presenter. Click G > Hide my screen to stop showing.
STOP: To prevent guests from showing:
- Click G > Settings
- Choose Options
- Uncheck Allow guests to show their screens
- Click OK
- How much memory does Glance use?
- When Glance is not in a session, it uses about the same amount of virtual memory as an instant messaging icon sitting idle (under 5MB). During a session, Glance needs as much memory as a multimedia player (15 to 20MB).
- What's the best way to view a Glance Screen Share session?
- For the fastest performance on PCs and Macs, download the free Glance software and connect with its built in viewer, by clicking G > Join Session.
Alternatively, on a Windows PC you can use Microsoft's Internet Explorer to get the free Glance viewer (350k). It's one-time install takes a few moments. Then join the session using Internet Explorer. You will connect instantly and see updates as fast as they are sent.