This page is the starting point for your user guide. You can refer to the getting started guide for the technical communication templates if you want help getting started. Make sure to add your user guide description text in the table below. It is used by the guide template when generating the automatic navigation.
Glance software must be installed on your Mac before you can show your screen. This document provides the basics on how to download, install, and use your Glance Screen Share solution.
Glance Screen Share requires OS X version 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later.
When you are ready, click the Download button.
After the download has been initiated, the Glance zip file will be downloaded and should automatically open and you will be walked through the steps necessary to install the solution.
If the file does not automatically open, please follow the steps below.
- If necessary look in your Downloads and double-click on the file to open it.
- If necessary, double-click the Glance Package installer icon
- Click "Continue" to install Glance in your Applications folder (Any previous version of Glance will be overwritten)
- Glance will open and the Glance "G" icon will appear in your dock and menu bar
You are now ready to start sharing your screen.
Using the Settings Options Tab
The Settings window allows you to select from a number of options that will dictate how Glance Screen Share behaves. The Options tab within the Settings window contains the following setting options:
- Instant Join
- Guest Information
- Session Keys
- During my session (encryption options)
Opening the Options tab
To open the Options tab:
- Click the "G" icon in the docket. A drop-down window is displayed.
- From the drop-down menu, select the Settings... option. The Settings window is displayed.
- On the Settings window, make sure the Options tab is selected.
With Instant Join your guests instantly see your live screen. They do not need to download a plug-in, nor do they have to have Java or Flash.
Use Instant Join to get your guests in fast and with the fewest clicks.
To choose Instant Join, check "Instantly (no download)" under "Have guests join".
For remote control, or to show video/animations, choose "With high performance plug-in (under 15 seconds)" to use Glance's high performance plug-in.
You can ask your guests for contact information when they join your Glance Screen Share sessions. You should specify what information your guests will be asked to enter.
You can ask guests for name, phone, and email. For each item you can specify:
- Required - Guests must enter the information in order to join your session
- Optional - Guests will have the option of entering the information
- Don't Ask - Glance will not even ask your guests for the information
To see information entered by your guests, log into your Glance account on our website. Read more about this option on the Manage Your Account page.
Glance Screen Share sessions can have a four-digit Session Key. If you have selected this option, guests must know the session key in order to join your Glance Screen Share sessions.
Glance provides several options for how keys are chosen.
- Random key. This is the most secure option available. If you select this option, Glance Screen Share provides you with the key when you start a session. You give the key to your guests however you like (phone, IM, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- I'll give guests a key in advance. Ask me for it when session starts. This option is useful for scheduling sessions in advance.
- Always use this key. You can specify a key to use for all of your sessions. Enter your key in the field next to this option. Please note that this option is less secure.
- No key (fastest, least secure). This option is the least secure, but it is a great option for public sessions. Guests only need your Glance address (e.g., yourname.glance.net).
During my session
There are three options under "During my session", each of which is elaborated upon below:
- Encrypt my sessions
- Let guests with Glance app show their screen
Encrypt my sessions
You can encrypt your sessions to maintain privacy. You and your guests will not notice anything different, but your screen data will be encrypted before being transmitted.
For encryption, check the "Encrypt my sessions" option.
Let guest with Glance app show their screen
Your guests can choose to show their screens at any time during a session.
- Check the "Let guests with Glance app show their screen" option.
- Make sure your guests have Glance before they join your session. If your guests already host sessions with Glance, they are all set. Otherwise, have your guest visit http://glance.net/guest to get Glance before joining your session.
After guests join your session, a G icon will appear in each guest's system tray. A guest can click the G icon and choose Show my screen at any time.
If you have more than one monitor on your computer, you can select which one Glance shows to your guests.
Select the monitor you wish to show in the menu next to "Show" under "During my sessions".
Opening "Start Session - Show My Screen"
This section will walk you through the first option on the Glance Screen Share menu: Start Session - Show My Screen. Start Session - Show My Screen makes it possible for guests to see your live Mac screen. Choose this option to host a web demo, webinar or presentation.
To open the Glance Screen Share menu:
- Click the "G" icon in your dock or menu bar to open Glance Screen Share's one-button menu. A drop-down menu with the options below will be displayed.
- Select the first option listed: Start Session - Show My Screen
Using Start Session - Show My Screen
If you are starting your first session, you will be prompted to enter your Glance address and password.
There are several ways you can start a Glance session.
The most basic way to start showing your screen:
- Ask your guest to go to the web page at your Glance Address.
- Enter the Session Key
- Click Join Session.
Note: Your first guest must join within ten minutes, before the Session Key expires. Additional guests can join at any time.
To Start a Glance Session via email
- Click the email button on your Session Information window to create an email with a link to your session.
- Add anything you like and send it to your guests.
To invite guests via text message
- Click the copy button. This puts a link to your session on your clipboard.
- Paste the link into a message and send it to your guests.
To invite guests via social media
Post an invitation to Facebook or Twitter.
To invite guest via your website
- Add a Glance box to any web page with just two lines of HTML.
- Tell your guests to enter the session's key and click the Glance button. Moments later, they see your screen.
Clicking the Can you Glance link takes them to a web page that checks their computer for Glance compatibility.
To join someone else's Glance session from within Glance
- Click your "G"-icon and choose Join Session.
- Enter your guest's Glance web page address and session key.
Using Start Session - View Guest's Screen
Start Session - View Guest's Screen allows you to see or control your guest's screen. Choose this to provide remote support or view documents or applications on your guests screen.
On your Mac:
- Click the G icon in your menu bar or control-click (right-click) the dock icon to open the drop-down menu.
- Select Start session - view guest's screen.
- When you are asked "How do you want the session to start?", choose either:
"View only" (to only see their screen)
"View and control" (to allow you to control and type on their screen)
- Ask your guest to go to the web page at your Glance Address, enter the Session Key, and click Join Session. For alternative ways to invite guests to join a session (e.g., via email, social media, your website, text, etc.), please see Start Session - Show My Screen.
- Tell your guest to follow the instructions on their screen. Your guest will be asked to run Glance from their Mac or PC and confirm they want to allow you to see (and optionally control) their screen.
- Have your guest click "Allow" to allow you to view and/or control their screen.
- You are now ready to view and/or control your guest's screen.
Using remote control
When viewing your guest's screen, you can request remote control when guest joins or your guest can Single-click the G icon on their computer and choose Allow remote control.
Starting remote control
To start the remote control option:
- Click the G icon. A drop-down menu will be displayed.
- Choose Allow Remote Control from the drop-down. The border around your screen will change from yellow to red.
When you Allow Remote Control, each guest's pointer says "Click to control". A guest clicks his mouse to get control. Only one guest at a time can have control.
During a remote control session
When a guest has control, a red dot appears over his cursor.
To temporarily take back control from a guest, just move your mouse. That guest's pointer changes to a circle-slashed arrow. Pause a few seconds to let a guest regain control.
Ending remote control
When done, click your G icon and select Stop Remote Control.
No one can take control of your computer if you don't allow it.
We suggest that you not leave remote control running unattended.
After you have started a session, several indicators appear, as well as additional options that were not previously available. This section explains what those indicators mean and what you can do with each new option.
Indicators and options
Once you start a session, several indicators appear:
- A red square appears around the Glance "G" icon.
- A yellow border appears around the edge of your screen, to remind you it can be seen by your guests.
In addition, a Session Info window is displayed.
- The information in the window will reminding you to tell your guests to go to the web page at your Glance Address and enter the Session Key. The Session Status shows how many guests have connected.
- Click "Close this window" to hide the Session Info box. Note that the session remains connected.
- To show the Session Info dialog box again, click the "G" icon and choose Session Info from the Glance menu.
Tip: To recall your session key during a session, hover your mouse over the "G"-icon in your menu bar. Alternatively, click the "G"-icon and choose Session Info
Additional menu items
During a session, several menu items are available from the drop-down that is displayed when you click the "G" icon (see picture above):
- Hide my screen. Choose this option when you do not want your guests to see your screen. This does not end your session. The border around your screen vanishes and the Glance icon in your menu bar and/or dock flashes when your screen is hidden. Each guest's view is replaced with a white screen and the message "Screen not being shown". Everyone stays connected.
- Show my screen. Choose this option to resume showing your screen.
- Allow / Stop remote control. Choose this option to share control of your mouse and keyboard with your guests.
- Session info. Choose this option to see how many guests are in your session and how to invite additional guests.
- End session. Choose this option to end the session for all guests. You will be prompted to confirm your selection.
Join Session Option
Join Session lets you view a Glance session using Glance's built-in viewer.
To select Join session:
- Click the "G" symbol to open the drop-down menu.
- Select Join Session...
- You can now join a Glance Screen Share session.
Ending or Leaving a Session
Glance behaves like a telephone call. Guests can come and go, but when the last guest leaves, the session ends and its key expires. Guests leave by closing their viewer window.
As session host, you can end your session at any time, disconnecting everyone. In order to do so:
- Click the "G"-icon. A drop-down menu will be displayed.
- Choose End Session from the menu. Your session will now end.
Manage Your Account
Read below to learn how to open your account information and manage the options contained therein.
Open My Account
To access your account:
- Click the Glance "G"-icon. A menu is displayed.
- Choose the Settings option. The Settings window is displayed.
- Click the "Account" tab.
- Click the My Account link.
Alternately, choose the My Account at the top right of the Glance homepage at www.glance.net.
My Account options
The following options are available from your account dashboard:
- Login Page - Enter your Glance Address and Password to access your account.
- Summary - Overview of account information, and recently-completed sessions for your Glance Address.
- Profile - Change your name, e-mail, and password information.
- Activity - View Glance session activity.
- Audio - See your audio conferencing account information.
- Subscriptions - Shop for more capacity.
- Billing - Keep your credit card information up to date.
- Users - Add or delete users, view detailed reports of their usage and view current subscriptions.
- Log Out - Exit your account management area. (Glance automatically logs you out after 10 minutes of inactivity.)
Schedule a Session in Advance
If you want to announce an upcoming Glance session, it's convenient to tell everyone what key it will use. Follow the instructions below to set up a session in advance.
If you want to announce an upcoming Glance session, it's convenient to tell everyone what key it will use.
First, tell Glance to let you control each session's key:
- Single-click the G-icon near your computer's clock.
- Choose Settings > Options > I'll give guests a key in advance. Ask me for it when session starts.
Now each time you start a session, Glance will ask what key to use for it.
Let's say you need to announce a key for your staff meeting next Monday and another for a webinar at the end of the month. Make up a key for each event, such as 1167 for the staff meeting and 3141 for your webinar.
When you compose the email announcing the staff meeting, tell people they will need to go to your Glance Address (e.g., yourname.glance.net) and enter the session key 1167.
- Make your Glance Address clickable by writing it this way: http://yourname.glance.net.
- Even better, include the session key in the link, so your guests don't have to type it. For example, the link http://yourname.glance.net?key=1167 will take each guest directly into the session hosted by yourname.glance.net with key 1167.
On Monday, when you start your staff meeting's session, set Glance up to use key 1167.
Remember that you must start a session before your guests can join it. Your first guest needs to connect within 10 minutes. If no one does and the session expires, start a new session with the same key.